'Psychic healer' who claims he can cure cancer by laying his hands on patients is facing jail

By Daily Mail Reporter

mail online

Enlarge healer

Distance healer Adrian Pengelly: He faces a court battle with Trading Standards for violating the Cancer Act 1939, which states that it is illegal to advertise offers to treat cancer

A self-proclaimed healer is being prosecuted over testimonials on his website claiming he can cure cancer.

Adrian Pengelly, 43, says he is a 'visionary healer, energy worker, teacher and psychic' whose powers have made him 'world famous for treating people with cancer'.

His website is laden with endorsements attesting to his apparently supernatural abilities, many claiming he is a 'miracle worker'.

But he is being taken to court by trading standards officers under the Cancer Act of 1939, which bans advertising offers to treat cancer and carries the threat of a three-month jail sentence.

Pengelly, who featured in a damning episode of the BBC's Watchdog in September, says he is 'proud' of the charges.

Speaking from his home in Leominster, Herefordshire, he said: 'If that's the charge, that on my website there are testimonials from people whose cancer has vanished after I've treated them, then I'm proud to say I did that dastardly deed.'

He says he found 17 years ago he could 'stimulate a healing response' in patients using the laying-on of his hands and has since treated 'tens of thousands' of people and animals, with 13,700 waiting for his services at up to £30 a session.

He also claims he can cure people around the world using 'distance healing'.

Pengelly, who is due before Hereford magistrates this month, says he has never seen his website, which is run by his patients.

He said: 'The people on my website have done it for free, out of the goodness of their hearts.

'I'm just a healer. I can do things most healers only dream about.'

His 'patients' are numerous. One, from IL in Shropshire, states: 'I was diagnosed August/08 with a 4cm breast cancer tumour. I had weekly healing treatments with Adrian until I was operated on four weeks later.

'My surgeons report was - the tumour when removed was 2.5cm, with no cancer spread!! I think this result speaks for itself!!'

Enlarge healer

Nordon Hall near Leominster, the home of healer Adrian James Pengelly

Another, from MG in Herefordshire, says: 'In April 2007, I was diagnosed with cancer of the liver and lungs, probably secondaries of a bowl cancer. At that time, the oncologist told me I had four months to live (Six at the outside).

'I have been a patient of Adrian Pengelly since June 2007. The combination of his undoubted gifts, his high professional standards and the atmosphere of calm and harmony which he has created in his consulting room have, I am convinced, contributed greatly to my survival.'

In 2004, supermarket giant Tesco was taken to court under the Cancer Act after running a promotion with Cancer Research UK encouraging people to eat healthily in a bid to prevent cancer.

Those convicted of under the Cancer Act face fines or up to three months in prison.

Positive Thinking Quotes and Saying